Quad Cities! Jackie, Sydney, Ginny, Ivy and I are thrilled to be serving this growing community through the many offerings at our store! The opportunity (as a family) to step back into the community that helped develop in me the beginnings of my passion as a runner was one that we could not pass up. Our great aim is to offer unparalleled service and expertise via our incredible staff team, present an unrivaled selection of the industry's leading brands and products and to meaningfully engage, in a tireless fashion, a community of runners, walkers, on-my-feet-all-day-ers, and non-profit entities in need of a strong partner and advocate. We understand the importance of the right FIT, be it your footwear, apparel, accessories, or running group. Our operation has little to do with us, and much to do with YOU! Briefly, a little more information on our family: Ivy is the newest addition to our family. She was born 6 weeks early and spent some time in the NICU in Iowa City and although she is tiny she is mighty! Ginny is 5 and will do any puzzle you put in front of her. She is one of the most affectionate and passionate people on the earth. Sydney is 7 and loves to run whenever she can. She also loves to be a mother hen to the younger two and the enforcer of rules whenever possible! Jackie is from Ames but grew up a hardcore Hawkeye fan despite intense persecution from 2000-2004. She gladly attended the University of Iowa and has completed several half marathons. She can bake anything but specializes in homemade cinnamon rolls and a variety of chocolate chip cookies. I (Phil) ran my first Bix 7 at age 11 alongside my mother, and quickly fell in love with the sport. I attended Davenport Assumption HS, the University of Iowa, and have, in one way or another, been working in running specialty retail since graduation. Please, stop in the store, send us a note, or find us on the trails or at the city parks; we can't wait to meet YOU!
- Hometown: Davenport, IA
- # of years running: 17
- Current Training Shoe(s): Saucony Type A6, Nike Zoom Streak, Saucony Kinvara
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Duck Creek Recreation Trail, Sunderbruch Park
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: I hope to inspire, encourage, and enable individuals in the Quad City area to reach their personal wellness goals and find joy in being a part of a greater community of runners, walkers, and others.
- Food weakness: Most all of it.
- Personal mantra as a runner: Not a huge mantra guy; I'll occasionally recite/recall Scripture mid-run.
- Running goal: Prolong the days where I feel like I'm getting faster/stronger with age; I know, however, they are numbered...
- Currently training towards: Bix, Dam to Dam, Chicago Marathon
- Running highlight: Finishing well (at all, really) at 2013 Ironman Wisconsin
- Running low point: My first and only DNF/dropout in a race at the 2015 Wildcat 50k
First Lady of Fleet Feet Davenport & Medical Outreach
- Hometown: Ames, IA
- # of years running: 15
- Current Training Shoe(s): Saucony Ride, New Balance Zantes, Brooks Ghost
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Duck Creek Recreation Trail towards Emeis
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: I hope to make everyone feel welcomed, valued, and appreciated right where they're at, whether "fit", far from it, or on some sort of journey from one to the other!
- Food weakness: Warm, gooey, chocolate chip cookies straight out of the oven.
- Personal mantra as a runner: Something is always better than nothing!
- Running goal: After baby, my goal is to break 20:00 in the 5k!
- Currently training towards:
- Running highlight: Training for and completing the Pigman Sprint Triathlon (Palo, IA)
- Running low point: Finishing second-to-last in the 800m at the Iowa High School State Track Meet
- Hometown: Iowa City, IA
- # of years running: 20+ (I started running with my dad on his easy days and biking with him on his long runs when I was pretty young)
- Current Training Shoe(s): Nike Air Monarch
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Riverfront/Great River Trail (IA/IL)
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: Running has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. A lot of my most cherished memories, most of my best friends and probably too much of my focus is all related to running in some way or another. And I know that all of that would be impossible if I was improperly fitted or given bad guidance. As a Fit Specialist at Fleet Feet Sports I want every person that walks through our doors to be able to enjoy whatever they do, be it running, walking, working out at the gym or just thriving day-to-day as somebody who is on their feet a lot, as much as I have enjoyed running. By asking the right questions, being thorough in our fit process and having a genuine interest in everyone's needs gives me the unique opportunity to make a large impact on our customers' lives. I want every customer that I have the chance to work with to leave knowing they have been outfitted with the best footwear, apparel, accessories and advice available. If I am doing my job right we can all be as eager and excited to get after whatever it is that makes us tick.
- Food weakness: Pizza, although personally I don't count that as a weakness
- Personal mantra as a runner: Sometimes running can feel like a chore. I have had plenty of days where the last thing I feel like doing is getting out the door for a run. Fortunately, since running is not my livelihood I can always remind myself that I do this for fun and make any needed adjustments so as to always enjoy the sport, even on those days that I feel like I hate it.
- Running goal: I have two goals: to continue training as long as possible and to make daily improvements as a runner.
- Currently training towards: Chicago Marathon
- Running highlight: Grandma's Marathon 2012. It was in this race that I PR'ed in the marathon, and even though my time was still way off my goal PR in the marathon it is still the only marathon that I felt strong and smooth from start to finish.
- Running low point: There are many and it would be difficult to single one out. However they all have a common theme; any time I am feeling too sick, injured or unmotivated to train or race according to an arbitrary set of standards I have laid out for myself.
Training Programs Coordinator
- Hometown: Clarence, IA
- # of years running: 6
- Current Training Shoe(s): Brooks Levitate, Saucony Liberty
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Along the river, Illiniwek
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: To help everyone on their wellness goals whether it's through finding the right footwear, encouraging them in a training program, or introducing them to a great community of runners.
- Food weakness: Tacos, pizza, coffee, IPAs
- Personal mantra as a runner: Don't be afraid to give up the good and go for great. Run Happy.
- Running goal: Qualify for Boston Marathon
- Currently training towards: more marathons and a 50 miler
- Running highlights: Tunnel Marathon near Seattle, WA. The most beautiful course through the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, a huge PR and I felt great/happy the whole way.
- Running low point: Chicago Marathon 2015. I didn't train, it hurt. I don't recommend doing that.
- Hometown: Moline, IL
- # of Years Running: 9
- Current Training Shoes: New Balance 1080, Reebok Nanos for crossfitting
- Favorite Spot to run or workout in the QC: Illiniwek Forest Preserve, The Foundation
- Personal mission statement as a FF employee: I hope to use my passion for fitness and wellness to help support, guide and prepare Quad Citizens and visitors alike.
- Food Weakness: Cookies, coffee, whiskey, ice cream.
- Personal Mantra as an athlete: Anyone can do it. So do it.
- Running Goal: Becoming more mentally strong, increasing my mileage.
- Athletic Highlight: Using my fitness to better understand myself and the world around me
- Hometown: Des Moines
- # of years running: 6(ish)
- Current training shoe(s): Saucony Liberty
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Crow Creek bike path, Riverfront
- Personal mission statement as a FF employee: To make every person who walks through the doors feel like a valued part of the Fleet Feet community.
- Food weakness: Candy, pizza, sushi, Mexican
- Personal mantra as a runner: Progress not perfection, Your desire to change must be great than your desire to stay the same, Don’t be vanilla
- Running goal / training for: I am currently training for the three ½ marathons coming up this year in May, June, and September
- Running highlight: All the friends I have made throughout my journey. The finish lines feel amazing when you cross them, the “runners high” is real, but it is way less fun and rewarding when you don’t have anyone to celebrate with. I have crossed the finish line of 3 half marathons, once with an amazing friend, once with my mom, and once alone but with friends waiting at the end. Those finish lines and all the 5k finish lines are so much better with “your people.”
- Running LOW point: I worked hard and trained for the QC ½ last year. I wanted it to be my best time yet. Unfortunately I had been struggling with pretty bad hip pain and after all the training and hard work I had to really take it easy. Needless to say, it was not my best time and I felt very discouraged. But, I finished. Progress, not perfection.
- Hometown: Lexington, Kentucky
- # of years running: 14
- Current Training Shoe(s): Brooks Ghost, ON CloudX, Nike Free
- Favorite run spot in the QC: The Mississippi River Trail
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: Be a positive helper in everyone's fitness journey
- Food weakness: Scones/Pizza (but I prefer to see pizza as a strength)
- Personal mantra as a runner: Find balance, try new things, run happy
- Goals: Getting healthy, running a fast-ish 5k
- Currently training toward: Microbrew Mile (because beer is involved)
- Running highlight: Running track and cross country all four years at Miami University in Ohio. Pr-ing in the 10k at Drake Relays
- Hometown: Park Ridge, IL
- # of years running: 10 years
- Current training shoe(s): Brooks Ravenna 9
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Mississippi River Trail
- Personal mission statement as a FF employee: My ultimate goal as a Fleet Feet employee would be to support customers wherever they are in their running journey. As someone who did not always love running, I want to share my experience and connect with customers to provide the ultimate experience that encourages them to come back and be a part of such an awesome running community.
- Food weakness: Any and all desserts! My motto is I run to eat dessert (more specifically brownies with ice cream)
- Personal mantra as a runner: Whether it is a great run or a tough run, just keep putting one foot in front of the other (I can’t take all the credit for this one, my dad who I started running with says this for all of our races!)
- Running goal / training for: Training for the Indianapolis Marathon to hopefully qualify for Boston (fingers crossed!)
- Running highlight: Running the Scott County Turkey Trot at a pace that I never thought was possible for me, and realizing that I really wanted to work hard to qualify for Boston.
- Running low point When I was running in the woods with my dad, and I could just not keep up and even fell on the trail...yikes! It was then I realized that something was wrong, and found out I was severely anemic. Your health is your wealth, and if it weren’t for running I wouldn’t have discovered this.
- Hometown: Dekalb, ,IL
- # of years running: Running for 7 years
- Current training shoe(s): Saucony Ride, Saucony Kinvara, Hoka Cliftons
- Favorite run spot: Sylvan Island & Stephens Park Trails
- Mission statement: To help grow the QC running community
- Food weakness: Cookies
- Mantra: Love every step
- Training for: Augustana College cross country and track
- Hometown: Strausstown, PA
- # of years running: More seriously, 3 years
- Current training shoe(s): Saucony Ride ISO
- Favorite run spot in the QC: The bridges, or trails
- Personal mission statement as a FF employee: I hope to help even one person find the ultimate shoe that changes running for them
- Food weakness: All of it!
- Personal mantra as a runner: So many! "It doesn't get easier, you get stronger" "Any run is better than no run"
- Running/training goal/training for: I always said Boston, but now I just want to be strong and keep pushing limits, whether in a 5k or 50k.
- Running/training highlight: QC Marathon this year was a happy race that I truly enjoyed. But Hennepin was a challenge beyond physical and that finish line was so emotional.
- Running/training low point: NJ Marathon, April 2018. After so many weeks of hard training, feeling my best ever, and then having my legs just fall apart and not knowing why. I cried on that course and collapsed in pain and disappointment at the end.
- Hometown: Sherrard, IL. Originally from Clinton, IA
- # of years running: 24
- Current Training Shoe(s): Saucony Triumph, Mizuno Waveknit
- Favorite run spot in the QC: The Bridge Loop
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: I want to help new runners find their confidence and joy in running and learn about every aspect of running to improve myself.
- Food weakness: Carbs. Beer and pizza.
- Personal mantra as a runner: Run the miles, eat the things.
- Currently training towards: Relay Iowa
- Running highlight: 2015/2016, I started running again, lost 30 pounds and ran my first two half marathons.
- Running low point: Having to stop running for 2 years because I didn't know how to handle knee & hip pain while running.
- Hometown: Davenport, IA
- Favorite run spot in the QC: Sunderbruch and Illiniwek trails
- Personal mission statement as an FF employee: My mission is to provide an enjoyable experience to each customer as I guide them in finding the perfect shoes and gear to help make their days walking/running free of pain, comfortable, safe and fun!
- Food weakness: Lago’s mint choc chip shake and Hy-Vee fruit pizza.
- Personal mantra as a runner: To think the exact opposite of what one would normally think when suffering. Embrace the pain and suffering of exercise because it is a feeling of being alive and able. Never take for granted your body’s ability to move, as it does not come with a guarantee.
- Running goal: Cardiovascular fitness
- Running highlight: Increased endorphins and being in nature.
- Running low point: Short legs